Fostering A New Approach Episode 5: Unregulated accommodation for children in care and care leavers
Leicestershire Cares’ latest care experienced podcast, Fostering a New Approach, explores the issues that have lead the government to conduct a consultation into unregulated accommodation for children in care and care leavers.
This week Casey and Diana talk about independent and semi-independent accommodation, which includes hostels, foyer, flats, shared housing and supported living. At the moment these provisions are unregulated so there is no national standard for them and they are not open to inspections from Ofsted.
Main talking points:
- When are you really mature enough to only receive support and not care?
- The pros and cons of living independently or semi-independently.
- The quality of accommodation. “If a staff member walks into a room and thinks, I wouldn’t sleep in here, then why am I expected to?”
- The risks of moving out of your area.
- We just want to feel safe.
'Lonely' and 'unsafe': Young people's experiences of unregulated supported accommodation: Children and Young People Now
Get involved in the podcast
For more information about our Voices project contact email@example.com
Find out how we work with care experienced young people
For advice on dealing with isolation during the COVID-19 lockdown, visit our coronavirus page
Fostering A New Approach Episode 1: Care leavers in lockdown